|As a registered non-profit corporation, WCDC is in partnership with the business community, property owners, and residents of Wilkinsburg to foster economic development and improve the business corridor and quality of life within its boundaries by supporting existing businesses, attracting new businesses, and creating a flourishing commercial and retail environment in Wilkinsburg.Part of beginning to revitalize the business district involved working in conjunction with volunteers, businesses, and community leaders, to develop an extensive plan to set the ball in motion. Read the full Wilkinsburg Business District Plan. Read more about WCDC’s programs and projects:
Read more about the Wilkinsburg Business District Revitalization in the WCDC’s 2010 Annual Report.
NEXT STEPS IN THE
BUSINESS DISTRICT REVITALIZATION PLAN
- Update Business District Zoning recommendations
- Work with building owners to make space code-compliant to respond to market demand.
- Provide incentives for developers and investors to reclaim vacant space
- Work with the Borough to streamline permitting process.
- Pursue the ability to provide liquor licenses.
- Renovate the Business District streetscape as a model of urban sustainability
- Initiate a major clean-up and maintenance effort followed by regular street sweeping, litter removal, and sidewalk cleaning.
- Renovate, stabilize or demolish blighted buildings; hold property owners accountable for paying taxes and complying with building and maintenance codes.
- Initiate the Main Street Program and hire a Main Street Manager.
- Promote a major, visible project on Penn Avenue, such as the renovation of the Penn Lincoln Hotel.
- Engage in a media relations effort to rebrand the Wilkinsburg Business District as safe, “the next big thing,” and a desirable place to own a business and shop.
- Conduct stakeholder interviews to provide feedback on our progress to date
Wilkinsburg Business District Revitalization Plan
||Doing Business in Wilkinsburg
Need help starting a business? Check out this Permit Flowchart outlining the process for permits, taxes and other applications.Façade Renovation Program
WCDC is offering a matching grant for local businesses to renovate their storefront’s façade. Please review the Design Guidelines for such projects. Currently, WCDC will accept applications though the program monies may not be readily available. Application fees are $50. Download the Wilkinsburg Facade Renovation Program application to apply.*
Storefront Improvement Program
Wilkinsburg Borough has made $50,000 available for matching grants of up to $10,000 for renovating vacant storefronts. These grants are facilitated by the WCDC. If you are looking to renovate a vacant storefront, fill out the application!* The application fee is $250.
*Some improvement work must be reviewed by the Wilkinsburg Community and Civic Arts Commission which requires a separate application.
Vacant Property Recovery Program
Allegheny County Vacant Property Recovery Program offers a way to take blighted and/or tax delinquent properties and resell them to an applicant to reuse as determined by their application and as approved by the municipality. More information and case studies found here.
(click on image for full-size)
The office’s sign adds definition to the corner of Penn and Wood